Views
Helpful
Replies

VoIP packet including IP header

ashish.nagpal
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We have analog card installed in router and using G.729 codec but have confusion regarding the size of per voice channel in data network with respect to technology used. Technologies like FR, ATM and Metro Ethernet.

As of now we have found that in case of FR it takes 18kpbs, in ATM it takes 22kbps and in Metro it is 25 kbps all without CRTP enabled.

Can we have a reference document which can explain it better.

thanks

Ashish

5 Replies 5

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello,

Different media has different overhead hence the difference. Please reference a networking book, RFCs, or the many sources on the internet to see exactly how a voice packet is built depending on the encapsulation. Note, in your example, you are probably referring to VoFR and VoATM, because if it was VoIP, the bandwidth occupation should be comparable (for FR) or bigger (for ATM) to the one used on Ethernet.

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

Hi p.bevilacqua,

I know that voice packet varies on the basis of encapsulation. As in metro ethernet frame header we have addition of 802.1q that probably increases the size of per voice channel. To be more sure, I need some releavent material to go through. I would appreciate, if you can provide those RFCs nos. or any link specific to voice packet if you have. I have made lots of search but was not productive.

thanks

Ashish

Hello,

perhaps the best would a book about that you can buy on hard form on online as download. There are many.

You can also start from the RTP article on wikipedia and follow the links to the media types.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real-time_Transport_Protocol

As an appreciation to those providing answers, please rate all useful posts using the scrollbox below!

dgahm
Level 8
Level 8

Ashish,

Here is a good document for calculating VOIP bandwidth requirements:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk652/tk698/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094ae2.shtml

Please rate helpful posts.

Dave

Thanks Dave, that link is really informative. If by chance you pass though something same, with perspective of Layer 2 headers, please forward me.

Thanks again

Ashish

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: