Unanswered Question
May 31st, 2007
User Badges:

Hi

Can anybody please provide me with details regarding SMI-S support for

Cisco switches? Is the support available only for switches running

SAN-OS ?

I have a Cisco MDS 9000 running FabricWare and I dont see any cimserver

support embedded in the switch( cimserver CLI is not available).

Please let me know.

Thanks

Deepa

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
stephen2615 Fri, 06/01/2007 - 19:10
User Badges:
  • Bronze, 100 points or more

We use an application (used to be called AppIQ but has many names) that gets data via SMI-S for the SAN switches and it does not get all that much information coming out of SAN-OS. The release notes are full of caveats about SAN-OS. The vendor blames Cisco for this stating that the SMI-S api it lacking for information. VSAN zoning in particular is not all that good as far as reporting.

Mind you the Brocade SMI-S might provide more information but it is flakey more often than not in Director class switches. The application hangs on the Brocades all the time.

I would prefer to use SNMP as it has been around for ages and is relatively rock solid.

Stephen

deepa_cisco Tue, 06/05/2007 - 05:41
User Badges:

Thank You Stephen.I am actually trying to write an application which can collect configuration information from switches supported by different vendors in the SAN. I assumed SMIS would be the best approach. Do you feel SNMP is a better option. Is there any information in the web I can use for reference?

stephen2615 Tue, 06/05/2007 - 16:13
User Badges:
  • Bronze, 100 points or more

SMI-S is probably (in theory) a better approach when you want to actually manage the switches such as zoning, etc. SMI-S was designed to "not really care" what switch or storage vendor it is.

I wont use AppIQ to do anything as I don't really trust it and to be honest, it is much quicker to do it on the switch itself.

Some of the issues with Cisco include:

The Cisco SMI-S provider does not always handle DomainID:PortNumber format properly when creating zones or reporting on zone content. Existing zones on Cisco switches with DomainID:PortNumber members may not be displayed correctly.

As far as collecting metrics, SNMP is much easier to use. I don't see MRTG offering to use SMI-S.

I just suppose its up to what you want to do. The industry push is towards SMI-S but so far, it has not lived up to my expectations.

HTH!!

Stephen.

deepa_cisco Tue, 06/05/2007 - 05:36
User Badges:

Thank you. yes, I did happen to see the link, but the problem is I dont have the "cimserver" command listed in the CLI, when I try to enable the cimserver using the "config" command. I wonder if Fabricware OS providesSMIS support.

deepa_cisco Thu, 06/07/2007 - 00:03
User Badges:

The problem of not finding the cimserver support is with the switch running FabricWare OS, this is the version

Cisco MDS 9000 FabricWare

Software

system: 2.1(2)

Actions

This Discussion

Trending Topics: Storage Networking