Views
Helpful
Replies

Private VLAN's using Extended VLAN's

patrick.guerin
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I have a necessity to create PVLAN's in the 1025-4094 range on 6500.

CCO notes the following ...

"You can configure private VLAN parameters and RSPAN for extended-range VLANs; however, all other parameters for extended-range VLANs use the system defaults only."

Any idea what the system defaults actually are - cant seem to find additional detail.

I am trying to figure out if there are any issues I could run into by going down this route (apart from having to enable mac address reduction for which needs its own precautions. If anyone has done this in their environment successfuly or has any learnings maybe you can post.

Thanks

Pat

1 Reply 1

mark.j.hodge
Level 3
Level 3

From the configuration guide

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a0080160a7c.html#wp1032562

Extended VLANS only support Ethernet, and are not prpogated via VTP.

Also from my BCMSN study guide "As a best practice, assign extended VLANs beginning with 4094 and work downward because some switches use extended-range VIDs for internal use, starting at the low end of the extended range"

use the command "show vlan internal usage" to check.

** Please rate posts if helpfull **

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card