Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA or Router recommendation

mocah
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

which hardware would you recommend me for following design. In the near future I will have to secure our mail server (1000 users), terminal servers 5 (100-200 users) and web server with firewall. I have 64 IP addresses and 100Mbit/s. Which device would be more appropriate Cisco ASA5510 or router Cisco 28xx?

Thank you and kind regards, M

3 Replies 3

050878james
Level 1
Level 1

First of all, the router is router and the firewall is firewall. Cisco IOS Routers have the firewall functions such as CBAC (instections), but Cisco is going to move the firewall functions on the ASA in the future, so my reccomandations is ASA.

Since you are not talking about routing but protection, so the ASA is solution. and since you have 1000 users I would reccomand 5520 or 5540 instead of 5510.

Cheers

Thank you answer. I have had good results with Cisco routers and ZBF firewall, but only for small sites.

It is great to use the router no problems, but remember that VPN, vrf, encryptions etc.. the ASA handles these things much faster than any router, so if I where in your situation I would choose ASA.

Cheers

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card