cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

NIC Teaming vs 2 Network cards with 2 IP's (EtherChannel Limitation)

kingging
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I would like to ask a question about NIC Teaming vs 2 Network cards with 2 IP's

We have several Cisco Catalyst 3750's stacked and I have just read that there is a limit of 12 EtherChannels total for the whole stack

Does that mean I can only have 12 HP Proliant servers configured with NIC Teaming?

If that is the case which servers would you configure with NIC Teaming and which would you give 2 IP's, for example would a DC be OK with 2 IP's? Would Exchange be OK? IIS?

Thanks for any opinions or answers

alex t

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You don't mention the switch model, if you are using Gb ports remember the stack has only 32Gb throughput, 40 x 2Gb etherchannels running at capacity would have trouble.

I have never setup that many etherchannels on one device, but if Cisco support it there shouldn't be any additional issues as long as you follow the guidelines.

** Please rate posts if helpfull **

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

mark.j.hodge
Level 3
Level 3

From the software configuration guide you can have 48 Etherchqnnels on the same stack with version 12.2.25 software.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps5023/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00805a64f4.html#wp1275881

HP Teaming has multiple variations, what are you aiming for, bandwidth or resiliance? You only require an etherchannel for bandwidth, for resiliance only you can connect into different switches and it still works.

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the quick reply

The initial reason we were looking in to NIC Teaming was resiliance but were are now interested in both or a mix

Being able to have up to 48 EtherChannels helps, any idea if having 40 brings any performance issues to the switch?

You don't mention the switch model, if you are using Gb ports remember the stack has only 32Gb throughput, 40 x 2Gb etherchannels running at capacity would have trouble.

I have never setup that many etherchannels on one device, but if Cisco support it there shouldn't be any additional issues as long as you follow the guidelines.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco