Views
Helpful
Replies

Hardware replacement for a CallManager Subscriber

depwanguy
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am attempting to replace antiquated hardware in my CM cluster and wanted to run the procedure by the forum to make sure I am on the right path.

I have a two-node cluster (CM1 as pub and CM2 as sub running CM 4.1(3)) and have a new MCS-7835 to replace CM2, my subscriber. My question is, do I:

1) Install my new subscriber hardware as an additional node in the cluster (e.g. CM3) then change the name/IP address to the old server's (CM2), (then fix my SQL issues that I will have), or

2) Bring the old CM2 down and install the new hardware in the cluster using the existing name/IP address of CM2.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

1 Reply 1

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Brian,

The recommended method is Procedure # 2. Have a look at the following;

Restoring Subscriber Servers

When you perform a server replacement, you must always manually enter the IP information, computer name, and other configuration data exactly as it was entered on the original server.

Make sure that you locate the configuration information for this server before you begin.

Cisco does not require that you remove the subscriber server from the Cisco Unified CallManager database before recovering the server. When the subscriber server authenticates to the publisher database server and pulls a duplicate of the database from the server, the subscriber server automatically adds itself to the database.

If you are reinstalling a subscriber server only, you did not need to do a BARS restore unless the CDR and TFTP data on this subscriber server was backed up with BARS and now needs to be restored. The subscriber server will acquire all Cisco Unified CallManager configuration data from the publisher server.

Use the following guidelines to restore the subscriber server(s):

Perform a new installation of both Cisco Unified CallManager and the Cisco-provided operating system:

For Cisco CallManager 3.3(3), as the minimum required operating system, use version 2000.2.3 with an upgrade to 2000.2.4 or a fresh install to operating system version 2000.2.4.

For Cisco Unified CallManager 4.0, 4.1, and 4.2, as the minimum required operating system, use version 2000.2.3 with an upgrade to version 2000.2.5. Ensure the operating system is also SR2 or later.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note The version of Cisco Unified CallManager must match the version that is running on the publisher database server.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Restore the subscriber server if its CDR and TFTP data was backed up.

From this doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_administration_guide_chapter09186a00807a78ce.html#wp1039674

Hope this helps!

Rob

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: