Views
Helpful
Replies

Routing Protocols & VPN

johnmcc
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All

Prehaps someone can answer a question for me. I have 1841 running advanced ip services ios 12.4

The customer has installed an mpls backbone provided by a service provider. Each site currently is connected via pix to pix tunnels. What they want is to replace the pix's with the 1841's and route essential traffic over the mpls and non essential traffic over the vpn. BUT if one route fails the other takes over!

I have come into some problems using rip and havent tried ospf yet but would like advice on the best way before going off to reconfiguring this. as it would save me a lot of hassle!

Can this be done, if so can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks In Advance!

John

3 Replies 3

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

Hi John

Need more info on the current setup you have in place and also the network topology which is there with the respective devices..

Topological diagram with the exact positioning of the devices will definitely help to understand the topology..

regds

i will try to explain as i do not have a drawing diagram accessible from current location.

This isnt actually configured either i am looking for more of a can it be done and if so how!

So

Basically each site has 2 connections

one 512kb mpls and one adsl

they want sap traffic going down the mpls line and email and internet traffic going via the adsl line.

To make things a little more complicated the want a vpn aswell as the mpls between the all sites. So if the mpls fails the vpn will take over.

I need to find a reliable way of doing this..

Can you help or would a topology diagram be of more assistance?

Thanks

John

don't have time for a conclusive reply, but the keywords u'ld be looking for are

routemap, and Hot Standby Routing Protocol (HSRP).

Hope that points u in the right direction.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: