VTP config for 2950 in which mode (CCNA)?

Unanswered Question
Jun 1st, 2007

Hi,

I am using 2 books to study for the CCNA (Ciscopress & Todd). For VTP configuration, Todd's book shows that it is done in "global config mode" whereas in CP book it shows in "vlan database mode".

Who is right or which is the right one for the exam?

The same with configuring VLANs. The CP book shows it in "vlan database mode" & Todd's book in "global config mode".

I have noticed many discrepancies while using both books; although the subject matter is the same! It's really frustrating.

I have done this on a 1900 & 3500 switch, no problem. I do not have access to a 2950.

I would also like to know for the exam which model switch config we should know (1900 / 2950 / 3500)? It is really a problem memorizing each switches "special" way of doing the same thing.

Thanks.

Glen

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
cameron.moody Fri, 06/01/2007 - 21:22

Hi Glen,

Doing the configuration in "vlan database" mode is the older method of doing this function. I am pretty sure both are allowed on the 2950, but I would recommend doing so in global config mode.

HTH, please rate if helpful.

Cheers

Cameron

mohammedmahmoud Fri, 06/01/2007 - 23:18

Hi Glen,

You can configure normal-range VLANs (with VLAN IDs 1 to 1005) by using the two configuration modes, VLAN Configuration in config-vlan Mode or in VLAN Configuration Mode, but extended VLAN IDs is not supported in the vlan database mode.

Any way the vlan database is an old method that is not supported on new switches, you can always use the global config method.

HTH, please do rate all helpful relies,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

srue Sat, 06/02/2007 - 05:44

extended vlans are only supported in transparent mode switches too. (although i'm not sure ccna tests on that little piece of info).

k9elfok9elfo Sat, 06/02/2007 - 11:05

for the ccna exam you will be learning the 2950 switch.

you should learn a little about both ways of doing things for exam purposes.

Actions

This Discussion