Helpful
Replies

Load Balance in router ethernet interfaces

fred_m
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys,

I have a cisco 2800 with 2 ethernets.

How can i configure same ip on both, plug one in my first switch and second ethernet in second switch and both do a load balance and fail over ?

Thanks.

Fred

6 Replies 6

Anand Narayana
Level 6
Level 6

implement HSRP that is the best solutions to load balance.

Amit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Anand,

You can not implement HSRP on a single router interfaces. Original poster is looking for load-balancing between the same router's ports.

Please see my post below for this :

http://forums.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=Network%20Infrastructure&topic=LAN%2C%20Switching%20and%20Routing&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Ddisplay_location%26location%3D.1ddea6a7

HTH,Please rate if it does.

-amit singh

Amit,

Your tip is not my case.

Let me explain better.

I have two switches cisco and all of my servers have two NIC's. I plug each NIC on differnt switch, but i need do a trunk link between because i have only one inteface to my route.

So i want plug eth0 router interface in switch A and eth1 in switch B and remove this trunk.

Both eth0 and eth1 have same ip address.

If one of switches stop to work my network isn't impacted.

Thanks.

Fred

Hi Fred,

Amit's suggestion is almost your only chance, as you can't have 2 Ethernet interfaces with the same IP subnet on a single router.

HTH, please do rate all helpful replies,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Mohammed,

I thinked that exist some way like HSRVP to solve this question.

Thanks.

Fred

Fred,

No, you can not implement HSRP on a single router, and further more you can't use the same IP (or even 2 IPs from the same IP subnet) on 2 different interfaces on the same router, and thus Amit's suggestion is almost your only choice.

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco