cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VRF on CE question

kevin.hu
Level 3
Level 3

I plan to run multiple VRFs on the layer 3 switch (3750) at our spokes.

However, I don't want to expand my MPLS cloud from the hub all the way to the spoke routers (2811) because spoke-hub WAN links are satallite links and these links are not very stable. I don't want to bring this instablity to my MPLS core.

So the question is, how do I transport multiple VRFs to the MPLS cloud at the core without expand the MPLS cloud all the way down to the spoke?

sorry for the multiple posts.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

You can achieve this via trunking and subinterfaces on the GE interface, then on the T1 you can go for tunneling, or you can even go for tunneling all the way.

HTH, please do rate all helpful replies,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

mohammedmahmoud
Level 11
Level 11

Hi,

Have you thought about going with VRF-lite.

VRF lite converts the router into multiple virtual routers each one with its separated routing table, interfaces and routing protocols.

With the VRF-lite feature, Cisco Router/MLS supports multiple VPN routing/forwarding instances in customer edge devices. (VRF-lite is also termed multi-VRF CE, or multi-VRF Customer Edge Device). VRF-lite is effectively a lightweight version of MPLS.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps4324/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00801cddd9.html

NOTE: Multi-VRF-CE is not supported in the IP base image.

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Hi Mohammed,

Thanks for the reply. But I am still unclear how VRF-lite can fix my issue. Let's say my 3750 runs two VRF, single GE link to 2811, and then from 2811, single T1 link to 7600.

Since you can only assign one VRF per interface, how do you transport the two VRFs from the 3750 all the way to the 7600?

I need some kind of multiplex mechanism (similar to multiple PVCs) to transport the VRFs through one physical link. I just don't know what.

Kevin

Hi,

You can achieve this via trunking and subinterfaces on the GE interface, then on the T1 you can go for tunneling, or you can even go for tunneling all the way.

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Ah, yes, it makes sense. Thank you.

Hi Mohammed,

Can you please refer to some document so that I can go through it and understand it in better ways. (CE with multiple VRF-lite and a single connection to PE with any dynamic protocol between them)

Thanks in Anticipation.

Hi,

You can check a previous post for VRF-Lite:

http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=Service%20Providers&topic=MPLS&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Ddisplay_location%26location%3D.1dde9273

I hope that i've been informative.

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Hi,

Suppose following config is on CE

ip vrf cust1

rd 1:1

ip vrf cust2

rd 2:2

int g0/0.1--> sub interface is created on CE for Customer 1

ip vrf forwarding cust1

ip address x.x.x.x

int g0/0.2-->sub interface is created on CE for Customer 1

ip vrf forwarding cust2

ip address y.y.y.y

int g0/1

ip address z.z.z.z --> wan interface which connect to PE

router eigrp 100

network z.z.z.z

I am little bit confused, the eigrp which i will run is on global interface and it will advertise only the global routes as it is

not assigned to any vrf's that is it is between CE and PE so if i want that the

routes which are there in my individual vrf's should also be advertised to PE then how to go with that.

I really apologize for being confused and asking too many questions

Kindly help.

Hi,

No apologize, we are here to help :)

You need to use address families per each VRF

address-family ipv4 vrf customer

network x.x.x.x

no auto-summary

autonomous-system

exit-address-family

!

Then you'll need to redistribute from the VRF EIGRP address family to the main EIGRP process , but this solution is not recommended as the VRF routes will be reachable to each other if not using extensive route filtering, another solution is to run the EIGRP address-family over a tunnel between the 2 CE routers.

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Hi,

Thanks a lot once again for explaining it so nicely.

Regards.

Divyapratap

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: