cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

7970 and pwr-cube

donjohnson911
Level 1
Level 1

I have a fleet of the 7960G IP phones and recently bought a couple 7970G phones for use with the managers and am now curious, since we don't have PoE here can I use the PWR-CUBE that I have been using with the 7960s? Or will I need some kind of new power cube for use with that phone. Just thought of that and am afraid to try it with the ones used with the 7960s until I know for sure.

Model of the pwr-cube we have is: 34-1977-03

thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

yes you can use any power cube. Cisco made improvements in further models, but are quite minor things and any will work.

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

yes you can use any power cube. Cisco made improvements in further models, but are quite minor things and any will work.

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

Thank you this helps very much.

As a secondary question: Why do you think some VoIP supply websites have descriptions of "newer" model pwr-cubes like this:

"The Cisco CP-PWR-CUBE-3 provides AC power to the Cisco 7900 series IP phone. The CP-PWR-CUBE-3 is identical to the CP-PWR-CUBE but is also compatible with all Cisco IP phones including the color screen IP phones (CP-797x) and the newly released CP-7961G and CP-7941G models."

Based on your confirmation that it works it almost seems to me that these people are just trying to scare people who aren't experts, like myself, into spending more money.

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Don,

Just wanted to add a note to Paolo's great info. There is a tech note of what Power Cubes to avoid using with the 7970;

Guidelines for Powering the Cisco IP Phone 7970 Series

External power - Provided through the CP-PWR-CUBE-2 external power supply

The CP-PWR-CUBE-2 (341-0081-01) external power supply is compatible with other Cisco IP Phones.

The older power supply, CP-PWR-CUBE= (34-1537-01), does not provide sufficient power to the Cisco IP Phone 7970 Series and will not connect to the phone.

From this 7970 doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/phones/ps379/products_administration_guide_chapter09186a00804b0be8.html#wp1079121

Hope this helps!

Rob

Honestly I had forgot about the very 1st model of power cube and its incompatibility with the 7970, thank you for pointing that out Rob.

To complete the information about the bricks, please enter "CP-PWR-CUBE compatible" in the leading search engine, and click the second link, that is a well-know online store. The evolution of the power cube is explained also presenting a compatible product that I'm waiting to try sometime.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: