Views
Helpful
Replies

Remote Span

sam-lee
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Here is my situation. I am sitting at ground floor and I would like to monitor a laptop which located at 1st floor. In order to do that, i need to configure RSPAN. Can you anyone share the RSPAN configure with me? Attached is the network diagram.

Thanks

SAM

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Sam,

Are you running Native IOS on the 6500's or Hybrid OS (CatOS + IOS).

We will be able to do it. There is a limitation on 2950's that the intermediate switches should be other than 2950 and as we are using 6500 we will be able to work it out. Follow the steps

1. Please make sure that you have to create a separate vlan which will be dedicated only for carrying the RSPAN traffic.

2. Designate the Vlan as the rpan vlan. Config

Vlan X

remote-span

Do this on all the switches..

3. Configure the Source session on 2950-E and the destination session on 2950-A. 6500's will only carry the RSPAN traffic and pass it on to the 2950-A.

2950-E

Switch(config)# monitor session 1 source interface fa 0/x

Switch(config)# monitor session 1 destination remote vlan 901 reflector-port fastethernet0/y <--- Make sure that nothing is connected to the reflector port.

On 6500's

Switch(config)# monitor session 1 source (Specifiy the source)

Switch(config)# monitor session 1 destination remote vlan 901

On 2950-A

Switch(config)# monitor session 1 source vlan remote vlan 901

Switch(config)# monitor session 1 destination interface fastethernet0/1

Use the following links for RSPAN session.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2950/software/release/12.1_20_ea2/configuration/guide/swspan.html#wp1336466

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat6000/122sx/swcg/span.htm

HTH,Please rate if it does.

-amit singh

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Amit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Sam,

The traffic in this topology will be switched Via, SwitchE, CoreB, Core A and Switch A.

Please let me know the Switch Model Number for all the switches. Also let me know the IOS version running on all the switches.

-amit singh

Hi Amit,

Yes, the traffic will be switched via switch E-->Core B-->Core A-->Switch A.

I am using 2950 for all the access switches (Version 12.1(20)EA1a) and 6509(Version 12.1(20)EW2) for core switches.

Thanks,

SAM

Sam,

Are you running Native IOS on the 6500's or Hybrid OS (CatOS + IOS).

We will be able to do it. There is a limitation on 2950's that the intermediate switches should be other than 2950 and as we are using 6500 we will be able to work it out. Follow the steps

1. Please make sure that you have to create a separate vlan which will be dedicated only for carrying the RSPAN traffic.

2. Designate the Vlan as the rpan vlan. Config

Vlan X

remote-span

Do this on all the switches..

3. Configure the Source session on 2950-E and the destination session on 2950-A. 6500's will only carry the RSPAN traffic and pass it on to the 2950-A.

2950-E

Switch(config)# monitor session 1 source interface fa 0/x

Switch(config)# monitor session 1 destination remote vlan 901 reflector-port fastethernet0/y <--- Make sure that nothing is connected to the reflector port.

On 6500's

Switch(config)# monitor session 1 source (Specifiy the source)

Switch(config)# monitor session 1 destination remote vlan 901

On 2950-A

Switch(config)# monitor session 1 source vlan remote vlan 901

Switch(config)# monitor session 1 destination interface fastethernet0/1

Use the following links for RSPAN session.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2950/software/release/12.1_20_ea2/configuration/guide/swspan.html#wp1336466

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat6000/122sx/swcg/span.htm

HTH,Please rate if it does.

-amit singh

Hi Amit,

Thank you very much for your input.

I have a question about the reflector port. What do u mean by "make sure that nothing is connected to the reflector port"? Shouldn't I configure Port gi0/2 switch E as a reflector port?

Thanks,

SAM

Amit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Nope, G20/2 caanot be a reflector-port. Reflector port has to be a free port on the switch which is not used for connectivity.I know you have to waste a physical port on the switch for this but this is the requirement...

HTH,Please rate all the posts that have helped.

-amit singh

got it...thanks a lot

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco