cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

L2TPv3 Based VPNs dropped?

dankennedy
Level 1
Level 1

I have been reading about L2TPv3 Based VPNs , but when i looked into supported IOS (7200 platform) it only seems to feature in ios 12.0. Has this feature been effectively dropped?

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

mohammedmahmoud
Level 11
Level 11

Hi,

Thats because for the 7200 it is only supported in the S train, and the latest S supporting it AFAIK was 12.0(32)S7.

HTH, please do rate all helpful replies,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

mohammedmahmoud
Level 11
Level 11

Hi,

Thats because for the 7200 it is only supported in the S train, and the latest S supporting it AFAIK was 12.0(32)S7.

HTH, please do rate all helpful replies,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Rahul Kachalia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Can you pls elaborate more on describing what your L2TPv3 requirements are?!....

thanks,

rahul.

I read about the l2tpv3 vpn feature in "MPLS Configuration on Cisco IOS Software" which seems a good mechanism for large networks not running MPLS. I tried to build a proof of concept lab this, but the l2tpv3 was not a valid mode in the IOS i was using (12.4-12 SP services). I used feature navigator and found i would have to return to a 12.0 image to use this, its not even in a T train!

Going back to 12.0 means i lose so many other features it (like qos) it would not be feasible to use.

So to summarise that feature is useless stuck in this old 12.0 software and i cant understand why its not in a 12.4 or at least 12.3T train which would also support the more modern feature set.

Thanks.

Contrary to the IOS version number 12.0 its not the old 12.0 train.

The 12.0S is a special service provider image development which happens in parallel with the other mainline trains. The diffrentiator being the 'S' in the end.

And till date most enhancements to the 7200 platform have been done on the 12.0S first.

Later you may find these features in 12.4T and 12.2S as well.

So rest assured you wont lose features if you switch from 12.4 to 12.0S although if you compare and see you may have some features missing between them, but stritly from the service provider point of view the 12.0S has it all which may not be available in 12.4 for the 7200.

HTH-Cheers,

Swaroop

Hi Dan,

Can you pls explain what L2TPv3 feature for c7200 platform that you are trying to enable in 12.4T which is not supported but available in 12.0S?!...

thanks,

rahul.

I was not using T, just standard 12.4-12 (SP-SERV). The features missing for me are..

Modular QoS (any!)

NBAR

Thanks

Dan.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: