Views
Helpful
Replies

RADIUS authentication question

bryan.lofland
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

I am trying to use my normal Active Directory username to authenticate to my switches. I currently have a RADIUS server setup (Microsoft IAS 2003). I know that it works because my VPN concentrator uses it to authenticate people. I am unable to login to my switch with the following configuration:

aaa new-model

aaa group server radius RADIUS

server 10.101.64.14 auth-port 1645 acct-port 1646

!

aaa authentication login use-radius group radius local

aaa authentication login localuser local

aaa authentication dot1x default group radius

aaa authorization exec default local

aaa authorization network default group radius

radius-server host 10.x.64.14 auth-port 1645 acct-port 1646 key xxx

radius-server source-ports 1645-1646

The logs on my server don't even show that a request was attempted which leads me to believe that I have a misconfiguration somewhere. I can only authenticate using the localuser user account and none from my domain. Is there something I need to change or do on the AD side of things to tell the switch to allow on my AD account to authenticate to it? Does my configuration look good? I know the key is correct as well.

Thanks,

Bryan

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Bryan

I think that you now have the correct understanding of the fall back logic of AAA and Radius server. It is one OR the other at any point in time and the primary (in our discussion primary is Radius) will be used when it is available.

If you are satisfied to have everyone access enable mode by entering the enable password, then what you have in the configuration works ok. I suggested configuring aaa authentication for enable because I think that it gives you more control. You can configure enable authentication similar to login authentication so that it will go to the Radius server as primary and use the local enable password as a backup. Going to the Radius server means that you can configure at the individual level who should have enable access, gives you an option to periodically force change in passwords, and when someone leaves the organization it is easy to remove their enable access to all routers and switches without having to configure new enable passwords on all devices. It is certainly your choice to do it either way.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

20 Replies 20

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Bryan

From what you posted your device will try to use radius for lines that specify use-radius but you do not show what - if anything - is configured to use this. Normal authentication is configured to just use locally configured names and password.

Can you tell us that is configured for use-radius and whether you are testing from these lines?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

This is the line that I was hoping to use to authenticate with:

aaa authentication login bryan.lofland group radius

Perhaps I am not understanding the role of a group as well. I have group called RADIUS that contains my RADIUS server I have setup. The only line that I see with use-radius in it is the first one:

It is getting pretty apparent that I am getting confused.

Thanks for the help!

So I have made some progress!!! I can successfully login with my AD username/pass however, it says "Press RETURN to get started" so I do but it immediately kicks me out. I am posting a fresh aaa/line config to update on how my config looks:

aaa new-model

aaa group server radius RADIUS

server 10.101.64.14 auth-port 1645 acct-port 1646

!

aaa authentication login dharmacon local

aaa authentication login RADIUS group radius local

aaa authorization exec default local

aaa authorization network default group radius

radius-server host 10.101.64.14 auth-port 1645 acct-port 1646 key 7 1327470707080138

radius-server source-ports 1645-1646

line con 0

stopbits 1

line vty 0 4

password 7 02250B0A04140E251C

login authentication RADIUS

transport input telnet ssh

Thanks for any help!

Bryan

I am glad that you are making progress. I am not clear what is happening that is immediately kicking you out. Is there any kind of message when this happens?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

have you authorixed the IAS server in the AD domain ?

Try debugging aaa authentication & see the logs

Try the following

aaa authentication login default local group radius

aaa authentication enable default group radius enable

I have tried ading those lines and it didn't really help. I am still kicked out as soon as it authenticates me to the RADIUS server. There are no messages that tell me that something has timed out or anything of that sort.

Also now that I added those two lines I can login via the local account but I can't get to priviliged exec mode it tells me:

%Error in authenticiation

Here is my current config (minus the interfaces).

Thanks,

Bryan

Attached config:

You can try:

1. remove the following commands from your aaa config. You already have this command in place (aaa authentication login RADIUS group radius local) so the ones above it are not neccessary)

2. You've only one Radius server, so there's no point of putting it into a "group". Use "radius-server host 10.101.64.14 auth-port 1645 acct-port 1646"

3. Add these Authorization commands:

aaa authorization config-commands

aaa authorization exec default if-authenticated

aaa authorization network default group radius local

4. Remove the "dot1q" in authorization.

5. Add "radius-server attribute 6 on-for-login-auth"

6. On line vty 0 4, add "login authentication default"

hth.

Bryan

Thanks for posting the additional information. Based on this I do have a few suggestions:

- clearly you do have it configured to authenticate telnet access (or SSH) to the Radius server with backup of the local username. I am not clear whether you are really authenticating with the Radius server or if it is falling back to local authentication. Are there log records on the Radius server that indicate whether it is seeing the authentication request and if so whether it is passing or failing?

- to take care of getting to enable mode I would suggest adding this:

aaa authentication enable default group radius enable

- I would suggest a small change in the aaa authorization line:

aaa authorization exec default local if-authenticated

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

So I did #s 1-6. If I remove the line:

I can no longer authenticate with a local username/pass. I also kept:

because I use dot1x auth (certificates) on some ports on that switch.

Now I can't login with my local account. So it looks like I have to choose one or the other but I can't figure out why it won't allow local authentication if I use a local username OR AD authentication if I use an AD account.

Bryan

Maybe I am not as clear on what is going on as I thought I was. Based on the config that you posted there is nothing that uses the line:

but you say that if you remove it you can no longer authenticate with a local username. I would have expected that outcome if you removed this line:

aaa authentication login RADIUS group radius local

Perhaps we also need to talk a bit more about the way that AAA authentication works. You seem to want the ability to authenticate with AD or local username interchangeably. You can set up different ports to work differently (perhaps vty starts with Radius and console starts with local username) and you can configure AAA to have a primary authentication method and a backup. But it does not offer interchangeability as an option. So you could configure it to authenticate with Radius/AD as the primary method and local as a backup. But if Radius is configured as primary then it will authenticate with Radius and only use local usernames if communication with Radius fails.

Perhaps you can clarify what is working as you expect. And if some things are not working as you expect (or as you want) then perhaps you can give us specifics about them.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thanks for the clarification. What I am expecting is the AAA should use RADIUS primarily and if that is unavailable to then use local accounts. So let's say that I have an AD account called bryan.lofland and I use it to log in with to config my switches/routers (currently works). What if I want to use the local account "dharmacon" to login instead of my AD account? I can't seem to do that right now. So it looks like the falling back onto the local account isn't working.

So with this running-config I can login with my AD account however I can't login with the local username dharmacon.:

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card