Views
Helpful
Replies

Cat 6500 IOS upgrade

craig.eyre
Level 1
Level 1

Hey All,

I'm wanting to upgrade my cat6509 to an IOS that supports OSPF and VRF-lite. My 6500 currently runs sup2/msfc2 with 128MB DRAM. The IOS 12.2(18) supports it, but uses too much memory.

All the IOS's that I've come across that support both these features are asking for a minimum of 256MB DRAM.

Is there an IOS that runs on this hardware, supports the features I need and can run on 128MB DRAM?

I've tried the software tool on Cisco's site, I just want to confirm that all the IOS's are too large for the feature set I want.

Thanks,

Craig

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Prashanth Krishnappa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You will need 12.2 releases for VRF-lite which needs more DRAM. Also, since you have a Sup2/MSFC2 you might want to be aware that the VRF-Lite feature is only with Flexwan/OSM. If you need VRF-Lite support for VLAN interfaces, you will need to upgrade to Sup720.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Prashanth Krishnappa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You will need 12.2 releases for VRF-lite which needs more DRAM. Also, since you have a Sup2/MSFC2 you might want to be aware that the VRF-Lite feature is only with Flexwan/OSM. If you need VRF-Lite support for VLAN interfaces, you will need to upgrade to Sup720.

In terms of the DRAM upgrade, is the 256MB required on both SUP2 board + MSFC2?

i.e.

MEM-MSFC2-256MB=

MEM-S2-256MB=

It looks like to be the case but further confirmation would be useful.

Ajaz

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card