Views
Helpful
Replies

ISDN Switch

Paul Webster
Level 1
Level 1

Hi every one!!!

Can i make work a router like a ISDN Switch if is provided with the proper interfaces?

I need to know since i want to practice !!!!

Thak you!!!

PAWP
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Good luck.

Please consider rating useful posts as an appreciation to those providing answers!

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Hi

AFAIK routers can't function as an ISDN switch. You can get an ISDN simulator for pretty cheap now-a-days on ebay.

HTH

Sundar

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes. FOR ISDN BRI, the VIC-2BRI-NT/TE and VIC2-2BRI-NT/TE can be configured as "network side" and can emulate most switch behavior. Also, all T1/E1 PRI interfaces can do the same.

See the following document:

http://cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk652/tk653/technologies_tech_note09186a00804794c6.shtml

Hope this helps, please rate post if ti does!

Interesting!! Good to know that the router can switch ISDN calls.

Just wondering whether Paul has the needed hardware to do this. If he doesn't he's probably better off getting an ISDN emulator which is probably a lot cheaper than getting the Cisco gear to practice.

HTH

Sundar

Yes, probably cheaper. But with the voice BRI one can study voice as well that is in most voice certifications nowadays.

i Highly appreciate your advices, Now I will try which option is the best!!!

PAWP

Good luck.

Please consider rating useful posts as an appreciation to those providing answers!

Hi Paolo,

I agree with you, just a little addition: that solution works only with NT/TE, so for voice traffic, no data.

Regards ;)

Andrea

Andrea, what do you mean ?

Look at the document linked above. The ISR router can switch voice and data calls, no problem.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: