cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Checking switch port status

szczotkap
Level 1
Level 1

How can I check switch port status on Cisco Switch 3550. I need to know which port on switch is used and if not how long is unused. Can you give me some advices how to resolve my problem? I am beginner in cisco devices.

6 Replies 6

mohammedmahmoud
Level 11
Level 11

Hi,

Kindly use "show ip interface brief".

HTH, please do rate all helpful replies,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Is that command shows how long each port haven't been useed?

It's most important for me becouse I need to know which cable can I plug off and connect other. I need something based on SNMP.

Hi,

If you do "show ip interface x" it will display a Last input value, i think that this is the value you need, i haven't tried it via SNMP, but i am sure that it can be done.

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Meaby I need some script to check that value and write it to database? If I check last value it is not usefull for me, I have to write values for e.g. 2 weeks

yjdabear
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Assuming IOS, you can determine the status of ports by checking ifOperStatus and ifAdminStatus jointly. Of course, if you have Campus Manager of the CiscoWorks LMS bundle, it makes it easier, especially for answering the "how long it's been unused" question.

Can someone help me to get that information using ifoperStatus?

How to write this command to get information about which ports are down and sent it to file.

I wrote something like that but it shows me all port's status. how to write it properly?

snmptable -v 1 -c public 149.156.203.25 ifTable |awk '{print$2$8$9}' |more

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: