Views
Helpful
Replies

Idle disconnects on AP 1232

swoodyard
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone..

I am seeing an issue with clients being disconnected from an AP after periods of inactivity.

Is there a "idle timeout" that is configured to disconnect clients after a certin time?

Thanks in advance!

3 Replies 3

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

It's usually on the client side. there may also be a "Allow the OS to put this client to sleep to conserve energy" type setting.

Check the "Advanced" settings in your NIC properties.

Depending on your encryption and authentication setup, coming out of a (power-down) sleep mode may not re-connect the client to the AP.

Good Luck

Scott

dgnani
Level 1
Level 1

I had a similar issue. Users came to me saying they were getting disconnected after about 30 minutes. if you edit the WLAN there is an option for "Session Timeout(secs)" and by default it was 1800 (30 minutes). We set it to 36000 (10 hours) so that it would last the day and have not head of any issues since.

I believe it can also be set for 0 which is the same as never timing out but we didn't want something to linger on there forever if it wasn't needed. Hope that helps.

Thanks for the reply dgnani!

Did you configure this thru the CLI or gui? I'm having trouble finding it.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: