Views
Helpful
Replies

Windows terminal software to connect to serial

dan_track
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I'm about to use windows 2000 or windows XP to connect to a serial port on a 3560 switch. The problem I have is I don't know what software to download, that is free, to allow me the PC. Can someone please suggest some to me. And a little guide on how to set them up. I've always used minicom on linux.

Thanks

Dan

4 Replies 4

andrew.burns
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

Try Putty:

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/

The documentation that comes with it is pretty comprehensive, although it hardly needs any instructions as it's very intuitive.

HTH

Andrew.

chris.lepa
Level 1
Level 1

TeraTerm is a great program too. You don't have to download any software though, Windows comes pre-loaded with hyperterminal.

Programs->Accessories->Communications->Hyperterminal

PuTTy is a good freeware terminal emulator that supplies both telnet and SSH support through its history of releases. And in the new release I understand that it does support serial connection.

Tera Term is also a good freeware terminal emulator. I find it a bit easier to use than PuTTy.

The best thing that I can say about HyperTerm is that it comes installed on Windows so that you do not have to load anything. And it is generally functional.

The terminal emulator that I like the best is SecureCRT. It is not free. But I find that it works the best, has the widest range of supported features.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

jesusdamian
Level 1
Level 1

I just use Hyperterminal

When you create a new HyperTerminal session, just set the communications mode to "Direct To Com1" or whatever com port the serial interface is set to. then set 9600 8 1

that should be all you need. its how I connect to all my switches.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco