Views
Helpful
Replies

Controller Failover - Clients and Interfaces

fgleeson
Level 1
Level 1

We have 2 x 4404 controllers.

It is layer 3 LWAPP. They are in different buildings on different subnets.

They have different AP Manager and Management Interfaces.

They are in the same mobility gourp.

We have some AP's connecting to one controller and others to the second one. AP Failback works fine.

We are using AP Group VLAN's and this seems fine too.

All is working well.

Now - if one controller fails, the AP's failover to the other controller.

No what happens the clients?

They have IP addresses on a VLAN. This VLAN is available on the other Core switch.

Does this VLAN need to be available on the Wireless Controller also?

What needs to be done to keep the all important clients alive in this instance??

Appreciate any feedback.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi There

We have the same setup at one of our clients and you do definitely need all the WLAN VLANS to be present on both controllers (only different IP Addresses for each VLAN) for the failover and L3 roaming for that matter to work properly. Using remember that in the Mobility Group each WLC needs to be added to the other's Mobility Group for it to function correctly.

If all this is done correctly then it should be fine.

HTH

Steven

Please rate helpful posts.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Hi There

We have the same setup at one of our clients and you do definitely need all the WLAN VLANS to be present on both controllers (only different IP Addresses for each VLAN) for the failover and L3 roaming for that matter to work properly. Using remember that in the Mobility Group each WLC needs to be added to the other's Mobility Group for it to function correctly.

If all this is done correctly then it should be fine.

HTH

Steven

Please rate helpful posts.

Thanks Steve.

I created all the AP Group VLAN's on both controllers.

I also created all the interfaces on both controllers, but with different IP addresses - 10.32.71.10/24 on one, and 10.32.71.11 on the other.

Mobility was already setup, so it's all now working.

I had to reboot the controller to get it going but once i did that it was fine.

Appreciate your help. Thanks.

I would add that you can have a stale mobility group setup that looks just fine but does not work. If in doubt, re-edit the mobility group memberships just to make sure it is freshly applied.

Trying to get APs to obey their primary/secondary/tertiary settings before I did this was driving me nuts. Nothing worked until the mobility groups were re-entered, and I tried just about everything I could think of.

Thanks for the tip - i will certainly bear this in mind with my testing.

Once again - appreciate it guys!!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: