cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Trunking

tohoken
Level 1
Level 1

I have been looking at the configs for our switch infrastructure and noticed that on our trunk interfaces they are using VLAN1 as their trunking native mode. I know that they need to be the same on both sides of the trunk for the trunk to be setup but my question is that we have VLAN1 shutdown and use a different VLAN for our management VLAN. This doesn't seem to cause a problem as everything works fine, I am just wondering if it should be changed to use our management VLAN?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

pciaccio
Level 4
Level 4

You do not neccessarily have to have the native VLAN be your Management VLAN. It is a good practice to keep your management VLAN away from VLAN1. You can also make your Native VLAN any VLAN you like. Just keep in mind that in DOT1Q Trunking the native VLAN is the VLAN that is not tagged and has potential for VLAN leaking between switches. I would recommend that the native VLAN be any VLAN that is not used and has no traffic on it. The MAnagement VLAN be any other VLAN other then the native and VLAN1....Good Luck...Please rate....

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi

Cisco recommended best practice is to use a non-routable vlan as the native vlan. We use vlan 999 in our data centres and this vlan only exists at layer 2 ie. their is no SVI for it.

HTH

Jon

pciaccio
Level 4
Level 4

You do not neccessarily have to have the native VLAN be your Management VLAN. It is a good practice to keep your management VLAN away from VLAN1. You can also make your Native VLAN any VLAN you like. Just keep in mind that in DOT1Q Trunking the native VLAN is the VLAN that is not tagged and has potential for VLAN leaking between switches. I would recommend that the native VLAN be any VLAN that is not used and has no traffic on it. The MAnagement VLAN be any other VLAN other then the native and VLAN1....Good Luck...Please rate....

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card