cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SFP compatibility with 10gbE?

silrodri05
Level 1
Level 1

Someone knows if a SFP (GLC-SX-MM=) works with a fiber optic patch cord 10gbE? As a port FE works with a UTP Cat.6 cable (obviously at 100Mb).

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

Most of the 10GBE fiber patch chords are using 50um Core Size and if your patch chord is of 50um or 62.5um then 1000BASE-SX short wavelength GLC-SX-MM will support the same....

Rate if it does,

Rgs

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Martin Parry
Level 3
Level 3

Hi

The GLC-SX-MM is only capable of running at 1000BaseSX over multimode fibre. It will not operate at 10GB

Hi Parry,

I know that it will not work in 10gb, but my question is will function in 1gb with a fiber optic patch cord 10gbE, to only understand if it has some physical problem of the compatibility.

Hi

Sorry I do not know what you mean by 10gbE fibre. Can you confirm the micron size / is it smf or mmf etc? Please see the below link for the specifications of fibre that the SFPs support.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/modules/ps5455/products_data_sheet0900aecd8033f885.html

Regards

Martin

Hi,

Most of the 10GBE fiber patch chords are using 50um Core Size and if your patch chord is of 50um or 62.5um then 1000BASE-SX short wavelength GLC-SX-MM will support the same....

Rate if it does,

Rgs

Amit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yeah, I agree with Balaji on this. the same multimode fiaber patch cable and work for both 10GB and 1GB connection. You have to just change the GBIC connector for either 1G connectivity or 10GB connectivity.

HTH,

-amit singh

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: