cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can telnet use a secondary ip address as its source?

convergia01
Level 1
Level 1

Is it possible to let router use a secondary ip address on a port

as a source ip address to telnet another device ?

3 Replies 3

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Jerry

This is an interesting question. On the one hand you would think that as long as the source address was valid and was routable it would not matter whether the address was primary or secondary on an interface. On the other hand in IOS the command is ip telnet source-interface and the values shown in help are interfaces not addresses. So I am going to guess that it is not possible in IOS to specify a secondary address as the source for telnet.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

I am afraid that's not possible. IOS only lets you set an interface as the source of the telnet packets and not the IP address.

R5-FRSW(config)#ip telnet ?

comport Specify RFC 2217 options

hidden Don't display telnet addresses or hostnames

quiet Don't display non-error telnet messages

source-interface Specify source interface

Rick this is the 2nd posting today that after I hit the post button I see your response was just logged. Anyway, it doesn't matter who helps as long as one of us provide the answer.

HTH

Sundar

Sundar

Yes I have had the experience with some frequency of seeing a question that had no responses at that time. And while I was typing my response someone else posted a response.

I agree that it matters less who responds (and who was first) and matters more that good answers are given.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco