cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

what's better for performance - routed ports or vlan ports?

m.tapping
Level 1
Level 1

What's better for performance - routed ports or Vlan ports?

I'm going to configure separate 6509 interfaces for ingress & egress traffic to/from a web-cache, interfaces on different subnet for legacy reasons.

What is the best for performance, routed ports or Vlan ports? or does it not matter?

Thanks

Marc.T

6 Replies 6

royalblues
Level 10
Level 10

Marc,

The decision should be based on what exactly are you planning to do. If you do not want the VLAN to be extended then routed ports are the way to go.

If you want have different vlans configured and want intercommunication, VLAN interfaces or SVI's would be prefered

HTH, rate if it does

Narayan

Thanks for the reply Narayan.

I'd like to base the decision upon performance. If it's more efficient for the 6500 to switch to a Vlan port or a routed port will determine the outcome.

Marc.T

I dont think there would be any performance difference as all decisions would be performed on hardware

Narayan

jstrine
Level 1
Level 1

I remember hearing a Networkers session that when a bunch of interfaces go down, the routed interfaces drop immediately and the down is conveyed immediately to the control plane (routing process).

However, VLAN interfaces have a backoff mechanism that causes the control plane to be notified in increasingly longer intervals.

I can't verify this with actual documentation, but maybe someone else can point to some.

Thanks - I'll check my Networker archives for any clues.

Yes Jonathan,

because the device must check if another switchport for that VLAN (in access or in trunk) is up. The SVI goes down when all VLAN interfaces are down. In some cases something like "auto-tunnel" does the trick.

HTH

Andrea

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco