Views
Helpful
Replies

Problem with Console Server TTY line

navneet_78
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a 2811 cisco console router running IOS c2800nm-advipservicesk9-mz.124-3b.bin. There are 2 3845 WAN GWs and 1 3750 switch connected to this console server using CAB-HD8-ASYNC cables.

Everytime i have to manually clear the TTY sessions to login into any of the devices connected to the console server.

Is there a default time after which the TTY sessions get cleared normally? I generally log out properly using Ctrl+Shift+6+X.

Please advise.

Cheers

Navneet

8 Replies 8

navneet_78
Level 1
Level 1

Appreciate if someone would reply to my above query.

Thanks in advance

Navneet

Navneet,

When you do Ctrl+Shift+6, X it does not log you out of the device but takes you back to the device from where you initiated the connection.

My suggestion would be configure idle timeouts in the 3845 and 3750 devices

line con 0

exec-timeout 5 0

This will log anyone out if the connection is idle for 5 mins

HTH, rate if it does

Narayan

Hi Narayan,

I have tried putting in the exec-timeout 5 0 command on the 3845 and 3750 switch. But still I see TTY lines in the console.

xxxxxxxxxx#sh users

Line User Host(s) Idle Location

tty 0/0/0 idle 00:00:32

tty 0/0/1 idle 00:00:17

* vty 322 xxxxxxxx idle 00:00:00 x.x.x.x

Interface User Mode Idle Peer Address

xxxxxxxxxx#

Can you try reducing the idle timer to some seconds value

exec-timeout 0 10

Narayan

Hi, navneet

Type "show session" command on your console server and see which session number correlates to which device. Then type that session number, e.g. 1,2,or 3. this will bring you directly to that device again. It is not necessary to clear the line then login again.

HTH

SSLIN

Hi,

When i type in the "show session" command, I do not see any connections open.

xxxxxx#sh session

% No connections open

xxxxxx#

But, it gives me 2 TTY lines in the "sh users" command.

xxxxxxxxxx#sh users

Line User Host(s) Idle Location

tty 0/0/0 idle 00:00:32

tty 0/0/1 idle 00:00:17

* vty 322 xxxxxxxx idle 00:00:00 x.x.x.x

Interface User Mode Idle Peer Address

xxxxxxxxxx#

Navneet

As has been pointed out Ctrl+Shift+6+X suspends the reverse telnet and returns you to the terminal server but does not really log you out. I would suggest that after the Ctrl+Shift+6+X you enter the disconnect command which will terminate the session. If you do this you should not then have to clear the line to start a new session.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

you can also use the session-timeout and no exec commands on the interface to automatically disconnect after a set time of inactivity. The following commands will disconnect the line after 10 minutes of inactivity:

session-timeout 10

no exec

HTH

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card