Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Management as a wlan interface

Hi all,

is there any issue configuring the management interface as the interface for a wlan in a wlc environment?

I ask that because I need to map a wlan directly to the production lan, where the management console and the various services (dhcp, dns, radius) resides.

I tried to put the management interface on a different vlan and create a virtual interface for the production wlan, but immediatly after creating the virtual interface I loose connection to the management interface from the management console on the production lan (wired).

Here are the relevant details for the working scenario:

Manager interface 192.168.100.200

Ap-Manager interface 192.168.101.1

APs vlan 192.168.101.0

Production Wlan linked to management interface

Production lan 192.168.100.0

Dhcp, dns, radius server 192.168.100.10

Management console 192.168.100.111

Here are the relevant details for the non-working scenario:

Manager interface 192.168.101.2

Ap-Manager interface 192.168.101.3

APs vlan 192.168.101.0

"Prod" virtual interface 192.168.100.201

Production Wlan linked to "Prod" virtual interface

Production lan 192.168.100.0

Dhcp, dns, radius server 192.168.100.10

Management console 192.168.100.111

The first scenario seems to work fine, but on cisco docs it's not clear if it's a perfectly regular one.

Tnx,

Max.

3 Replies 3

Not applicable

It is right that Management VLAN should be on different interfcae than production vlan. Make sure routinghappens between the VLANs.

Hi,

first of all tnx for your reply.

Management vlan is on a different vlan than production one and routing happen, my question is about the possibility to create a wlan and his corresponding virtual interface directly connected to the production vlan.

But let's start from scratch:

due to a stupid piece of software, customer wants to connect wireless users directly to the production vlan, a unique flat vlan that hosts wired users, printers, all kind of servers and services, like the good old access points are doing for the happiness of the customer.

I created an environment where management/ap-manager interfaces have their own vlans and a virtual interface is connected directly to the production vlan, this scenario is not present in any cisco docs, where you know is always suggested to create different vlans for wireless users, management/ap-manager and production, in fact it doesn't work.

Apparently seems to work a scenario where I've got a unique flat vlan for all services, management, ap-manager, wlan and production vlan...but this scenario also doesn't appear in any cisco docs.

My first question is: the non working scenario is that for some kind of misconfiguration or is absolutely a design error?

And my second question: is the apparently working scenario, the one with a totally flat design, going to work for a life or is going to have some troubles?

Tnx,

Max.

elkono200
Level 1
Level 1

hi massimo,

i dont know what kind of appliance do you use?

if you have one like WLC4400 you have a Service Port for maintenence, that you can map to a service vlan.

cisco suggests that you should leave AP-mana and Manag Interfaces in the same VLAN, the APs can be in an other VLAN (LAYER 3 LWAPP).

you must be able to connect to the management interface, otherwise you have a routing problem.

bye elkono

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: