cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Metro topology and STP protocol

francynet
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I have a backbone made by SDH technology and there are a lot of point of metro aggregation access places connected to. Connected to that access (up to 40 KM) place there are sinlge centers that r teach the final customer. All the structure is made by fiber optic. The idea is to use layer 3 equipment to connect the access places. Wthat about the topology; shoul be better use a ring to connet the access places? What about the spanning three protocol; how can I eliminate it?

Thanks

3 Replies 3

swaroop.potdar
Level 7
Level 7

Since you have multiple acces agg points, a ring on the phy layer conecting these points would be ideal. And you may want to run RSTP on the routing/switching devices to on layer 2 to break the loop.

If you dont want the STP to be run, then you can have a dual self healing ring in the core connecting the agg locations and then provision point to point circuits with the central location.

HTH-Cheers,

Swaroop

Thanks. Probably I have not undestood very well; if I use layer 3 in the access node it is completly eliminated the STP? I tought that STP is only with layer 2 only. Otherways, why not?

Francesca

Ok, If you plan to use pure routing with layer 3 devices you definately wont need STP.

And you would be good to go, if you can take care of the healover on the physical layer.

I assumed you original post was to do with deploying a METRO ring.Anyways its ok.

HTH-Cheers,

Swaroop

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: