cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CONFIGURING AN AIR-AP1242

jimleslie77
Level 1
Level 1

We have an ap 1242 access point. I am having two main problems with them. after installing them thorugh the use of the ACDC power plugged directly into them (IE no power inverter) they enetially configured and worked ok. But after leaving them un powered for a day they seem to loose the configuration and also are not recieving any ip information from DHCP. I initially configured it with an IP address of 192.168.32.201, was able to ping and configured ok. Since leaving it off it has lost all config, and also is not registering in DNS or DHCP so i am unable to find the ip address for it. can anyone help, have i not done something to save the config, or is this behaviour normal, is there an updatre IOS that needs to be installed?

2 Replies 2

srosenthal
Level 4
Level 4

If you configured the AP via cli then you must write the config to memory. If you used the GUI interface then the config is saved to memory when you click on the apply button.

From cli make sure you issue a "write mem" command.

I believe AP factory config will have it boot up as a DHCP server so you can connect a laptop to it direct and get a config on it via the GUI.

Seth Rosenthal, CWNE#55

bcolvin
Level 3
Level 3

When I have an AP in this condition I fire up wireshark on my computer use a crossover cable and connect the AP directly to my computer. then watch as the AP boots. you shuld see it sending DHCP requests or ARPing its IP address.

if it is sending DHCP requests fire up tftp32 configureit for DHCP. configure you computer for the same subnet as the scope you set in tftp and watch wireshark or the log in tftp for the address.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: