cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Maximizing Modem speed with NM-8AM Analog Modem Module.

sunil.kandam
Level 1
Level 1

HI All,

I have configured 3845 router remote and main location with Analog back line. I am getting only 34kbps speed with analog connection.

Anybody can help me how I can make it 56kbps.

Following are Dialin side configration.

interface Dialer1

description Analog Backup with 8Modems

ip address x.x.x.x

encapsulation ppp

no ip mroute-cache

dialer pool 1

dialer string x1

dialer string x2

dialer string x3

dialer string x4

dialer string x5

dialer string x6

dialer string x7

dialer string x8

dialer string x3

dialer load-threshold 1 outbound

dialer max-call 8

dialer-group 1

fair-queue 64 512 3

no cdp enable

ppp authentication chap

ppp chap hostname PSTN

ppp chap password 7 xxx

ppp multilink

ppp multilink links minimum 8

ppp multilink interleave

2 Replies 2

dgahm
Level 8
Level 8

You would need to use a digital modem module, and terminate the calls on either a BRI or PRI interface to achieve 56kb speeds. Analog modems to analog modem calls cannot achieve 56kb. One side of the call has to be digital.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps274/products_tech_note09186a00800ad45b.shtml

56 Kbps (V.90) can be achieved when the peer is a digital modem (for example, a AS5xxx with a digital circuit such as a T1 or E1 line)

56 Kbps (V.90) cannot be achieved when connecting to an analog modem. This is a limitation of V.90 technology and is not a hardware issue. Refer to Overview of General Modem and NAS Line Quality for further information.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps274/prod_brochure09186a0080091b99.html

Please rate helpful posts.

Dave

Hi David,

Thank you very much for your reply.

Sunil KC

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: