Views
Helpful
Replies

Launching SSH from Device Centre

Aaron.Koves
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm trying to get the rest of my team to use CiscoWorks more, but the fact we can't link off the Device Centre page straight to an SSH client is preventing uptake. It's a pain to have to copy the IP, then open an SSH client, then paste it in.

I've figured out how to fool Windows into launching SSH instead when it recieves a telnet:// link, but then the couple of dozen devices we've got that still use telnet management (like the vg248s) don't work.

Has anyone found a way to make it all work?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Sorry, I meant "client" and not "server". Still, as you previously pointed out, changing the URL handler to point telnet to and SSH app means that devices that require telnet won't work. You can't overload a URL handler, so browsers would need to start supporting an ssh:// handler before we could add a default link on the Device Center.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This was purposely not done since there is no telnet client installed on servers by default, and most browsers do not support ah ssh:// URL handler.

There is no way to modify the links on Device Center to add an SSH link.

Oh well, that doesn't seem that sensible since most people would use CiscoWorks via the web interface from their workstations - though I understand that not everyone has SSH installed so the link wouldn't work.

For anyone who wants this functionality you can fool your local Windows client.

In Explorer:

Folder Options --> File Types --> URL:telnet protocol

Modify the 'open' action to use your putty client with the /ssh option instead.

eg. "C:\program files\putty\putty.exe" /ssh %1

But this will make all telnet:// links use putty ssh instead, so use with caution. Makes my life a lot easier though.

Sorry, I meant "client" and not "server". Still, as you previously pointed out, changing the URL handler to point telnet to and SSH app means that devices that require telnet won't work. You can't overload a URL handler, so browsers would need to start supporting an ssh:// handler before we could add a default link on the Device Center.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: