Views
Helpful
Replies

MDS 9216i Problem

sevans1979
Level 4
Level 4

Hello All,

I am testing a MDS 9216i. I have never touched one of these boxes before so this is my first time. I grabbed 2 "notched" CAB-7k-AC power cables and im using my stadard Cisco Console setup. I powered up the box and the two power's are showing green ok led's and the Fan Status led shows green ok also. However I get no console output and the status led's on the "daughter card" and on the "module" are both red :(

Can anyone direct me as to what I am doing wrong? or is this just a broken unit?

Thanks in advance

Scott

3 Replies 3

colin.mcnamara
Level 4
Level 4

Can you verify your console settings are

8 n 1

with no flow control ?

If that is correct, then I would try re-seating your modules, and then RMA.

--Colin

Yes sir, those are my console settings. I will try the re-seating of the modules.

I don't know why you don't get any console access but if this 9216i has a second gen card in it such as 24 or 48 port card and the SAN-OS is below 3.x, you will get nasty red lights. I had a brand new 9216i delivered with the 48 port card and the switch was quite upset with it. I finally figured out the issue and upgraded to 3.x and all was ok. No more red lights.

Use a laptop instead of a dumb terminal if you can as I never could get my Wyse 60 to work on the switches no matter what setting I tried.

HTH!!

Stephen

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: