cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to communicate between router (no network) and TFTP

gmvburg23
Level 1
Level 1

I have an ethernet connection from laptop to a switch on the network and am consoled in to un-networked router but when I ping the IP address from router to my laptop it times out with 100% failure.???

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

GM,

Are you running CATOS on the switch or IOS.

CatOS prompt will be " Console> " and the IOS prompt will be " Router"

You have to create a Layer3 interface on the 6509 switch in order to communicate with it.

Do the following:

1. Check that your port is connected in which Vlan.

On IOS do " show vlan " and on Cat OS do " show port x/y " where x is the slot number and Y is the port number. This will tell us the Vlan assigned to the port.

2. After checking the Vlan assignment of the port create the SVI for the respective vlan. Bydefault all the ports are in Vlan1. So create the SVI for the same. Do the following

On CatOS,

Console> enable

Console(enable)> session 15

You will be on Router> prompt, do the following

Router>enable

Router#config t

Router(config)# int vlan 1

Router(config)#ip address x.x.x.1 y.y.y.0

Router(config)#no shut

On IOS switch do the following

Router#config t

Router(config)#no shut

Check the interface vlan 1 status by using " show interface vlan 1 and if its is up/up, you should be able to ping it.

HTH,Please rate if it does.

-amit singh

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Amit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

What do you mean by "un-networked" router.

What is the overall topology. Where is the router connected. A brief digram will help us understanding the topology and help you in troubleshooting the problem.

-amit singh

chris.lepa
Level 1
Level 1

My understanding from your post is that you're laptop is plugged into the console port of a router that is not attached to the network, right? I'm also assuming that your laptop is the tftp server.

If so, you can't use tftp through the console cable. You must connect the laptop with a crossover cable into the ethernet interface of the router for tftp to work. Just make sure your laptop and the ethernet interface on the router are in the same subnet, then you can transfer files between them.

-Chris

gmvburg23
Level 1
Level 1

amit,

It is a 6509 router that I am building that has no network connection. It will eventually become a production router. I do not have it on the network to make sure that it does not impact the production environment.

gm

GM,

Are you running CATOS on the switch or IOS.

CatOS prompt will be " Console> " and the IOS prompt will be " Router"

You have to create a Layer3 interface on the 6509 switch in order to communicate with it.

Do the following:

1. Check that your port is connected in which Vlan.

On IOS do " show vlan " and on Cat OS do " show port x/y " where x is the slot number and Y is the port number. This will tell us the Vlan assigned to the port.

2. After checking the Vlan assignment of the port create the SVI for the respective vlan. Bydefault all the ports are in Vlan1. So create the SVI for the same. Do the following

On CatOS,

Console> enable

Console(enable)> session 15

You will be on Router> prompt, do the following

Router>enable

Router#config t

Router(config)#no shut

On IOS switch do the following

Router#config t

Router(config)#no shut

Check the interface vlan 1 status by using " show interface vlan 1 and if its is up/up, you should be able to ping it.

HTH,Please rate if it does.

-amit singh

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card