cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ipv6 plz help

shaila_rox
Level 1
Level 1

hi guys, i have a very simple scenario but its not working, see i have a router wid fa0/0 connected to a switch, my pc is also connected to that switch. these are my configs for router

int fas0/0

ipv6 enable

no shur

then in global config i typed ipv6 unicast-routing.

now when i run show ipv6 int brief i can see fas0/0 link local address

now i install ipv6 on xp on my pc.

when i do ipconfig i can see my link local address but i dont see my default gateway :( :( :(, why my pc is not discovering my router as its default gateway ??? wat i have to do to add default-gateway to pc ??? plz dont take me wrong but dont give me advises to reinstall coz i have done it, plz tell me wat am i missing or wat should i do plz tell me

thanks in advance

5 Replies 5

devang_etcom
Level 7
Level 7

I think enabling IPv6 will assign only link local address... not sure but i think its not give configuration for the default route... so you can have communication between two devices on the same link but not out side that...

regards

Devang

thanks for reply but i didnt helped me much :( plz tell me some 1

Is the switchport on the switch in the same VLAN as the interface attched to the router?

Is IPv6 configured on the switch?

You have to assign a /64 prefix (either unique-local or global) to the interface for the router to send Router Advertisement (RA) messages and therefore for your PC to get a gateway.

It would help your PC to get gateway information if it only had a link-local address.

Hope this helps,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

zhanghx510
Level 1
Level 1

I have some questions to ask you:

have you configured your cisco router as a DHCP server?

if yes, have you typed the key command "default-router" to setup a default gateway on your router?

if yes, have you enable your xp pc as a DHCP client?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card