We are currently experiencing problems at our floors in Melbourne.
I will try to describe the topology of the network in brief,
OPTUS Ethernet 5M (Internet) --> fas0/0(3700)fas0/1 --> Switch Stack 3550 --> PC
(A) (3700)fas2/0 --> Ethernet 4M --> (B) fas0/0(3700)fas0/1 --> Switch Stack 3550 --> PC
IOS on all Cisco hardware have been updated.
The distance between the floors are 1.5 KM apart. Basic terms building A which is connected to the OPTUS Internet is hub and building B is spoke.
Building B is currently having Internet browsing issue which affects some users at a time and not all user. The time and users affected change day after day. The affected user is unable to browse to any URL but another user on the same floor can. The problem has affected all browsing, outlook, msn, terminal service. Building A is affected aswell but not as much as the other
Here are the tasks I have completed to diagnose this issue:
* Provide support to team and clients for Internet related problem during business hours. When traceroute to www or IP, it stops at the Building A 3700 fas2/0.
* Replace all trunk cables to and from the Internet Gateway after hours
* Liaise with Optus to test the Internet (A) and point to point circuit (B)
* Apply new DNS on the gateway identical for both A and B
* Check event viewer during the time it occur, nothing
* Ping internal IP (OK) and external IP (stops at Building A fas2/0) address during the event
* Another situation is ping internal IP (OK) and ping/tracert external IP (www.google.com) OK. Very strange.
Thanks. Sorry for the lengthy body. His forum has help me in the pass and thought Id give it a try.
BTW, release /renew IP or restart of the users PC fixes the problem.
DHCP is a /25 and theres only 10 of us in the network using the DHCP pool.
It happens constantly and varies on user. One user would be affected and the rest is fine browsing the Internet, the same day or next a different user.
What I also found is the Internet Link is congested peaking to max limit speed. But this should only cause the users to have slow Internet connection but not drop it?