Views
Helpful
Replies

particular VLAN traffice monitoring how

sivakumar.ks
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

It would be great if someone help me out how to monitor particular subnet traffic in a VLAN environment having cisco 6500 and cisco 4500 core switch.

Its a hospital environment and I feel imaging network passing huge amount of traffic. We feel slowness in file browsing in certain period from the group drive.

siva

7 Replies 7

Amit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Siva,

You can set the local vlan montiroing on the switches. This is called as LOCAL SPAN on 6500/4500. Please see the link below for ocnfiguration. The syntax is same for both the switches running IOS.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat6000/122sx/swcg/span.htm

If you are running Cat OS on 6500, please see the link below for configuration.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat6000/sw_8_1/confg_gd/span.htm

HTH,Please rate if it does.

-amit singh

Thanks amit,

One doubt will it monitor particular vlan or particular port. I have used SPAN for packet analysing , but I would like to know whether it will monitor particular VLAN subnet i.e for example vlan 24 subnet is 10.3.24.0/24 , vlan is spanned across campus.

Please clarify this.

Siva,

On a particular switch it will monitor the local VLAN only. If you have Vlan spread across the campus and you want to monitor this vlan campus wide, then you have to setup the Remote SPAN on all the switches. This way the traffic from each remote switch for vlan 24 can be spanned and will be send to monitoring station connected to the final switch.

HTH,Please rate all the posts that have helped.

-amit singh

Jan Nejman
Level 3
Level 3

Hello,

you may use also netflow. It is easy to configure and it gives you full overview what's happen in your network. You can use i.e top talkers statistics, or top applications...

You can use our tool freely for 30-days period, so it can be quicky used for detection where is problem.

Bye

Jan

Caligare Co.

http://www.caligare.com

Hi Jan,

Can you please send me the url for downloading the same. I have searched in cisco website , but I can't find the path. Much appreciate able if you send me the exact url for downloading the same.

Hi jan,

Ignore my perivious message, I am able to down netflow from the following website

www.caligare.com

Hi Amit,

I went through cisco RSPAN documentation and came to understand that I need to configure each port of that particular VLAN to SPAN remotely to my destination port.

But my campus network comprise of 100 cisco edge switches ( mixture of 3750,2950 and 3500 series) and in each switches at least two VLAN?s are used for two different network.

Since my requirement is to find out how much bandwidth is used by particular, I would like to know whether is it possible to do without altering the campus network edge switches.

Also if you know any thirdparty or cisco utility which can achieve this task please let me know my management is happy to purchase that for the current requirement.

siva

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card