Views
Helpful
Replies

PIX501 ThroughPut Question

shihab
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a PIX501 which is about 2 years old running 6.3(5). I am wondering what the throughput is on it. I looked through the cisco website but I noticed that the PIX501 now has 100Mb Outside Interface. Was there a change made to this. I am quite sure mine has a 10Mb Int. I am assuming it is half duplex.

I am upgrading the internet link to 17Mb and am wondering if the PIX can handle this.

If not, and since I don't think Cisco will ever bring Pix 7.0 on these units, should I look at something like a 871,etc . How do FW capabilities compare to PIX.

thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

anandramapathy
Level 3
Level 3

I dont think you have to worry unless you are running VPN tunnel on it

When upgrading the PIX 501 to Version 6.3, the inside interface is automatically upgraded to 100 Mbps full duplex. During the upgrade process the system displays the message "ethernet1 interface can only be set to 100full."

Performance Summary

Cleartext throughput: Up to 60 Mbps

Concurrent connections: 7,500

56-bit DES IPsec VPN throughput: Up to 6 Mbps

168-bit 3DES IPsec VPN throughput: Up to 3 Mbps

128-bit AES IPsec VPN throughput: Up to 4.5 Mbps

Simultaneous VPN peers: 10*

* Maximum number of simultaneous site-to-site or remote access IKE Security Association (SAs) supported

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

anandramapathy
Level 3
Level 3

I dont think you have to worry unless you are running VPN tunnel on it

When upgrading the PIX 501 to Version 6.3, the inside interface is automatically upgraded to 100 Mbps full duplex. During the upgrade process the system displays the message "ethernet1 interface can only be set to 100full."

Performance Summary

Cleartext throughput: Up to 60 Mbps

Concurrent connections: 7,500

56-bit DES IPsec VPN throughput: Up to 6 Mbps

168-bit 3DES IPsec VPN throughput: Up to 3 Mbps

128-bit AES IPsec VPN throughput: Up to 4.5 Mbps

Simultaneous VPN peers: 10*

* Maximum number of simultaneous site-to-site or remote access IKE Security Association (SAs) supported

thanks for the reply. Such a relif to confirm that it indeed now has a 100Mb Int.

Welcome. Please rate if this helps

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: