Views
Helpful
Replies

How to Achieve 4 Mbps with 2 Nos. of 2 Mbps lines

Anand Narayana
Level 6
Level 6

Hi,

find the diagram attached to this. i hav 2 different service providers, having 2 Mbps point-to-point line. i wanted to bundle them & making it as virtually 4 Mbps line, how can i do that? it is ethernet point to point link used RAD modem for ethernet output & plugged in directly to the switch 2960. i hav 2960 on both ends, tried etherchanneling, but it didn't bundle, any help would be appreciated.

5 Replies 5

Amit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Anand, Its a tough one. As we dont have the links from the same provider, you cannot really use ether-channeling. You even cannot use some other L3 mechanism to load-balance the traffic across the 2 ISP links. 2960 is a pure Layer 2 switch and it will hard to do that.

One thing that we can use is a flex link feature on the 2960's. You can set one of the ISP interface as back of the other ISP on the switch. Once the primary link goes down the other one will kick in and will start forwarding the traffic.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat2960/12225see/scg/swflink.htm

HTH,Please rate if it does.

-amit singh

Hi Amith,

but i wanted to make use of both links rather than having 1 link as primary & the other as backup. so i will drop that plan, but in your earlier postingz, u hav suggested to have to static routes point to the same destitation, so can i make use of other, by plugging on L3 switch on both the ends?

2 static routes eg.

ip route 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0 10.1.1.1

ip route 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0 172.16.1.1

Yes, I agree with that. We can achieve that using a layer-3 device.

Please see our earlier discussion on this post.

http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=Network%20Infrastructure&topic=LAN%2C%20Switching%20and%20Routing&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Dpass_through%26location%3Doutline%40%5E1%40%40.1dde906d/6#selected_message

HTH,Please rate if it does.

-amit singh

Hi,

By default EIGRP can do loadbalancing.

If you run EIGRP on this setup i believe you should be able to achieve this

Thanks amith.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card