MDS 2124 licensing questions ??

Unanswered Question
Jun 7th, 2007


during hardware replacement if unit failed, how can we deal with licensing on 2124

do we need to reenter license information

on replaced switch ??

how can we do that



I have this problem too.
0 votes
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
colin.mcnamara Thu, 06/07/2007 - 07:50

First thing, I am assuming you are talking about a 9124 switch;

The thing is Licenses are specific to each switch. If you purchased this switch through a reseller you have to contact that reseller directly to get a substitute license issued.

If you purchased it through Cisco, or TAC handled the RMA then contact the agent who is handling your case and ask them to get a new license issued.

The documentation pertaining to licensing on the MDS platform is available here -

If you found this helpful, please rate it.


jjpeyrache Fri, 06/08/2007 - 05:16


thanks yes this is a type i spoke for MDS9124

so i need to replace switch

do i must contact TAC to transfer license

on new switch ?


colin.mcnamara Fri, 06/08/2007 - 07:07

It really depends where you bought it from.

If you bought it directly from Cisco, then yes contact TAC.

If you bought it through an original systems manufcaturer like HP, Hitachi or Netapp then you need to contact the partner you purchased it through and they will handle the license migration for you.



This Discussion



Trending Topics: Storage Networking