ACL assiged in interface inside stops traffic

martymailey
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I found that on a PIX 501 I defined a 1 line ACL on inside interface:

access-list acl_inside permit TCP host inside-host host ext-host

and then when I added:

access-group acl_inside in interface inside

the users could not access anything outside of the network.

Why would this be?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi

If you do not want to restrict traffic from your branch office to any destination then you don't need an access-list on the inside interface.

If you do want to restrict the branch office traffic then yes you will need to add in all the permitted traffic to your access-list.

HTH

Jon

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi

Once you apply an access-list on an interface there is an impicit deny at the end of the access-list.

So by adding that one line access-list you have effectively blocked all traffic except the traffic allowed in your one line. lthough even this line is missing a tcp port number at the of the line.

HTH

Jon

Hi, So I should at least add a 2nd line to allow all ip traffic from internal network address to an external network address.

Eg this is a branch office with a VPN tunnel to HQ.

So I should add ACL on inside interface to permit ip from branch office address to HQ network address.

Hi

If you do not want to restrict traffic from your branch office to any destination then you don't need an access-list on the inside interface.

If you do want to restrict the branch office traffic then yes you will need to add in all the permitted traffic to your access-list.

HTH

Jon

Thanks for your advice.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card