cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

qos question on 6509.

ciscoforum
Level 1
Level 1

voice gw 2851 connects to 6509 Cat OS. No QOS is turned on 6509. I have marked 2851 so that signal and rtp has dscp cs3 and ef respectively. My question is without turning on qos in 6509, will dscp value from the GW still be kept when passing 6509 or will be replaced to 0 by default?

3 Replies 3

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

Yes - your switch with QoS disabled should just pass through any packets without rewriting the DSCP.

Regards

Aaron

Please rate helpful posts..

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

So if that's the case, I even not necessary to turn on QOS if I do not have IP phones in the enviroment? The GW is connected to PBX and talk to each other over the IP WAN H323.

You can do that. But if you want favourable treatment for that particular traffic when traffic goes from one port to another, queueing, congestion avoidance mechanism etc, you will need to enable QOS on the switch.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: