cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Command used for accessing sup engine when telneting

gmvburg23
Level 1
Level 1

what is the format for accessing the sup engine when you telnet to a catalyst 6500?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

As Ankur stated above if the switch is running native ios mode then use the 'remote command switch' to access the supervisor engine. Instead if the switch is running hybrid mode, SP runs CatOS and MSFC runs IOS, then use 'telnet (switch_ip)' to access the supervisor card. If you don't know the supervisor IP then from the MSFC issue the command 'show cdp neighbor detail' to get the IP of the switch.

HTH

Sundar

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Friend,

Can you brief again with your requirement as it is not very clear to me? Is you switch running is Native Mode? or it is running in Hybrid mode?

Regards,

Ankur

Ankur

I am a bit puzzled what would be different about telnetting to a switch running native mode or a switch running hybrid mode. Can you elaborate on what this would be?

GM

I do not understand your question very well. When you ask about format, it seems to me that you just issue the command telnet

where
is one of the interfaces on the sup. Perhaps you can clarify your question?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi Rick,

The reason why I asked the original poster about Native mode or Hybrid mode is because his post is not very clear that he want to telnet to sup engine or want to access sup engine.

If he is running Native Mode then he is very well already telnetted on cat6k box but to access sup engine in specific he need to use "remote command switch" but if he is running Hybrid mode and he had telnetted to MSFC in specific then to access switch there is no direct way but to telnet he can telnet from MSFC.

So I was not sure he is is asking just to telnet or access to sup engine after telnet.

Regards,

Ankur

Hey guys,

My apologies for not being more specific. I want to access the sup engine once I have telnetted into the switch (6500). I had been trying to use the session 15 or 16 command but it does not like the command.

As Ankur stated above if the switch is running native ios mode then use the 'remote command switch' to access the supervisor engine. Instead if the switch is running hybrid mode, SP runs CatOS and MSFC runs IOS, then use 'telnet (switch_ip)' to access the supervisor card. If you don't know the supervisor IP then from the MSFC issue the command 'show cdp neighbor detail' to get the IP of the switch.

HTH

Sundar

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco