Views
Helpful
Replies

user tracking DNS issue

donaghq_2
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

I am trying to enable CW to use DNS look up the IPs it finds under UT. I am getting the attached error when I try to go into the UT acquisiton settings. Any ideas?

Thanks

Donagh

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I recommend you fix the DNS issue so that the IP address resolves to only the hostname on this server. That is most likely why you are having the problem you are having.

If you can't change DNS, make sure /etc/hosts is properly configured, then adjust /etc/nsswitch.conf to look at files before dns.

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

What is the state of ANIServer (pdshow ANIServer)? What errors do you see in NMSROOT/MDC/tomcat/log/stdout.log?

Thanks for your reply.

What is pdshow ANIServer?!!

Also stdout.log is 12Mbs in size and not very user friendly. What should I be looking for?

Regards

Donagh

Run the command pdshow ANIServer and send the output. As for stdout.log, look for the word "error". Or you can zip and port the entire log.

Sorry I am not following where you run this pdshow command from? I cannot do it from the command line of the server as the command does not exist!

Please see attached zipped stdout file.

Thanks

It looks like he hostname was changed on this server. What is the current hostname?

The hostname on this server is cwkprd01

You have not done the required hostname change procedure, and LMS thinks the hostname is still nts-ciscoworks. You need to go through the steps documented at http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/rtrmgmt/cw2000/cw2000_d/cs303/usrguide/diagnos.htm#wp1078369 . You will also need to edit /opt/CSCOpx/objects/dmgt/dmgtd.conf, and change any instance of nts-ciscoworks in there to cwkprd01.

good troubleshooting skills there!!

I will follow your advice and let you know how I get on.

Many thanks.

I pasted the wrong URL. You need to change the hostname within LMS, but you need to follow the steps at http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/rtrmgmt/cw2000/cw2000_d/cs303/usrguide/diagnos.htm#wp1078582 to do it. Sorry about that.

Hello

I have looked at all the files mentioned in the document and they all have the correct system name configured i.e. cwkprd01 which runs on solaris 9. It was configured from day one as cwkprd01 as far as I know so I am confused as to why nts-ciscoworks is appearing. The previous version of this server was running on Windows 2000 and was called nts-ciscoworks.

The DNS entry for it's IP of 159.134.25.2 resolves to both nts-ciscoworks and cwkprd01 -perhaps this is causing the problem.

Following the procedure in the document Step 8 would not work i.e. the SQL command.

Regards

Donagh

I recommend you fix the DNS issue so that the IP address resolves to only the hostname on this server. That is most likely why you are having the problem you are having.

If you can't change DNS, make sure /etc/hosts is properly configured, then adjust /etc/nsswitch.conf to look at files before dns.

It is now working. I changed the DNS to resolve solely to cwkprd01. Thanks for all your help.