cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Inline WAAS Issue

jpannorfi
Level 1
Level 1

I have a point to point site with redundant links load sharing. I've installed a WAAS appliance on each end. We also have a Packetshaper installed on each end with shaping turned off. The setup is client -WAAS-Packetshaper-Router- Circuit-Router-PAcketshaper-WAAS-Switch. When acceleration is turned on I get many retranmissions and dropped packets. When we test in the lab all works fine. Any Ideas

Thanks In Advance

7 Replies 7

Zach Seils
Level 7
Level 7

John,

Have you verified that the inline ports on both WAE's have negotiated/are configured with the correct duplex? Did your lab testing include the Packetshapers as well?

Thanks,

Zach

Zach - Thanks for the response

Testing in the LAB was the same. We are using a 10Mbps half duplex connection and all of the interfaces are harded coded.

John,

Can you confirm whether or not the 'Asymmetric Flows Only' feature is enabled/disabled in the Packeteers?

Thanks,

Zach

'Asymmetric Flows Only is turned off.

Thanks John. If the Packeteer is purly monitoring the flows, and not altering them, then it should not effect WAAS in any way. I suspect at this point that the frequent retransmissions may just be a result of the traffic load and the half-duplex interface configuration. Is it possible for you to use full-duplex end-to-end?

Thanks,

Zach

Hi Again

We've done more testing wit the Packetshaper and WAAS and still cannot get this to work in our environment. The tetsing was done in an point to point environment. Router to Router with two serial connections. Router - Packetshaper - WAAS - LAN Switch on each end. When there is only one PAcketshaper connected, traffic flows fine. When we install the other packetshaper on the other end, Network Efficiencies drop. It doesn't matter if the Packetshaper is turned off or turned on, shaping on or shaping off. When we go to intercept traffic then efficiencies drop.

Thanks in Advance

I have the same issue but I am not sure if packeteer's logic of understanding "network efficiency" is spoilt by WAAS device, i.e when the tcp flows changed, how packeteer would decide the efficiency. Sometimes I get very bad network efficiency in packeteer without causing any problem, sometime network efficiency just 100%. I think this is related to the traffic and what is being :optimized" at that time.

Serhat

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: