cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

NPE-G2 upgrade question

michael.ray-4
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, I am performing an upgrade from a NPE-300 to a NPE-G2 processing engine on a 7206VXR router. I am trying to get the router to boot from a config file on the Compact Flash media instead of the NVRAM. I have entered the command "boot config disk2:startup-config and saved the change to the startup config in NVRAM. Upon reboot it still loads the config from the NVRAM. How can I get the router to load the configuration from the Compact Flash card? I do not want to use the NVRAM as the configuration file location for each boot. I have attached a copy of the show bootvar and show version from the router for your reference. Any assistance is appreciated.

Thanks

Mike

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

mohammedmahmoud
Level 11
Level 11

Hi,

When you use the "boot config" command, you affect only the running configuration. You must save the environment variable settings using "copy run start" to your startup configuration to place the information under ROM monitor control and for the environment variables to function as expected, there are no extra commands, please check and get back to us.

If you specify a configuration file in the filename argument that does not exist or is not valid, the software displays an error message and does not update the CONFIG_FILE environment variable. If the router detects any kind of problems after accepting this command, it enters the setup mode.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1826/products_command_reference_chapter09186a00800d9c3b.html#xtocid109662

HTH, please do rate all helpful replies,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

mohammedmahmoud
Level 11
Level 11

Hi,

When you use the "boot config" command, you affect only the running configuration. You must save the environment variable settings using "copy run start" to your startup configuration to place the information under ROM monitor control and for the environment variables to function as expected, there are no extra commands, please check and get back to us.

If you specify a configuration file in the filename argument that does not exist or is not valid, the software displays an error message and does not update the CONFIG_FILE environment variable. If the router detects any kind of problems after accepting this command, it enters the setup mode.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1826/products_command_reference_chapter09186a00800d9c3b.html#xtocid109662

HTH, please do rate all helpful replies,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Mohammed, you are absolutely correct. I found out that I was doing the right thing just as you had said. The problem was a lack of understanding on my part. Since this is a new processing engine the flash disk was blank. I configured an interface on the router so I could download an IOS and my modified config file from a TFTP server. I edited the running config so the router would boot from flash disk2 and enrered "copy run start". I was thinking this would save to NVRAM instead of the flash disk not realizing this was not the case. This was my mistake. As a result I overwrote the new config file. I realized this when I removed the Flash disk and rebooted the router. I entered the command "dir NVRAM" to show the contents of the NVRAM and got a message "%error opening disk2:/NVRAM (no such device)". So I was saving to the flash disk all along and did not realize it. The router is now loading the config file and IOS image from the Compact Flash disk. Thanks for your help and pointing me in the right direction.

Mike

Hi Mike,

You are always welcomed, and its really nice that you've posted back your detailed case and resolution, in this manner everyone facing a similar case can benefit from your case, and thank you for using the rating system, and please always come back if you have further questions.

BR,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card