cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

In which occasion router-->SwitchL3 does not need switchport?

news2010a
Level 3
Level 3

Imagine I have a Router(fa0/0)--connected to--->SwitchFa1/0/20 port.

I thought that I needed to do 'no switchport' in order to make the switchport work as a layer 3 interface and make my switch port communicate and forward traffic with the router. However, someone told me that the below would make this work without 'no switchport' and without an ip address.

Does the below make sense?

!

interface FastEthernet1/0/20

description switch port is connected to MYBACKUPROUTERWAN (VPN 1841 router)

switchport mode dynamic desirable

speed 100

duplex full

switchport access vlan 2

!

6 Replies 6

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi

The config you supplied means the switchport is working at layer 2. Does the fa0/0 interface of the router have an IP address out of vlan 2 ?

Jon

Yes, the Router fa0/0 does have an IP address for sure.

Yes, but is it out of the subnet range used for vlan 2 ?.

Basically if you use no switchport as you say it becomes a layer 3 port and you can allocate an IP address to it. In your config it is acting purely as a layer 2 port.

Jon

Router fa0/0 IP address is in the same network OK as vlan2.

Hi

Then that makes sense. If you have clients on the switch in vlan 2 they will be able to communicate with the router. If you have clients on the switch in any other vlan then you would need to route them on a different interface.

HTH

Jon

Hi Guys

Has anyone tried to make a L3 port on Cisco 1841 to be an L2 port with switchport or switchport access vlanx

iam using IOS 12.4(24)T i need to get this working for my project if anyone has any idea or clue pls send to me.Thanks

Sanjivlsg@yahoo.com

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card