Jun 7th, 2007

I have 2 switches on the same LAN.

Switch 1 has:

interface Vlan200

ip address

Switch 2 has:

interface Vlan200

ip address

is this okay? Doesnt it conflict with the VLAN?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Richard Burts Thu, 06/07/2007 - 12:23

I am assuming that these are layer 2 switches and that you will be using VLAN 200 as the management VLAN. If that is the case then what you have got is fine. There is not a conflict. Remember that essentially a VLAN is a subnet and a subnet is a VLAN. So since both switches are in the same VLAN then they need to be in the same subnet.

mohammedmahmoud Thu, 06/07/2007 - 12:23

Since the addresses are not the same, then there is no address overlap and thus no problems, are these interfaces just for management or is this switch a layer 3 switch.

HTH, please do rate all helpful replies,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Richard Burts Thu, 06/07/2007 - 12:41

I think you are making the same assumption that I did about it being a layer 2 switch. And as I think about it a bit more, even if it were a layer 3 switch I do not see that it would be a problem.

Jon Marshall Thu, 06/07/2007 - 12:50

Hi Rick

I agree, as long as the two switches were connected via layer 2 link (assuming they are connected) they should be fine even if they were acting as layer 3 switches.

If the connection was a layer 3 connection though that could cause some problems.

mohammedmahmoud Thu, 06/07/2007 - 12:58

Hi Rick,

You are totally right, i answered that it would not be any problem whatever the case is, and when asking about if it is being a layer 2 or layer 3 switch it was just to go further on the discussion if the poster had any more doubts.

[edit] If it is a layer 2 switch, then this is normal, having both management interfaces in the same IP subnet. And if it is a layer 3 switch, i think that it is as if a LAN is connected to 2 routers which should impose no problems, but the administrator would have to care which IP should be the gateway for the local LAN (VLAN) hosts.

Mohammed Mahmoud.

This Discussion