Level 1

I have 2 switches on the same LAN.

Switch 1 has:

interface Vlan200

ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0

Switch 2 has:

interface Vlan200

ip address 192.168.1.2 255.255.255.0

is this okay? Doesnt it conflict with the VLAN?

5 Replies 5

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Rob

I am assuming that these are layer 2 switches and that you will be using VLAN 200 as the management VLAN. If that is the case then what you have got is fine. There is not a conflict. Remember that essentially a VLAN is a subnet and a subnet is a VLAN. So since both switches are in the same VLAN then they need to be in the same subnet.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

mohammedmahmoud
Level 11
Level 11

Hi,

Since the addresses are not the same, then there is no address overlap and thus no problems, are these interfaces just for management or is this switch a layer 3 switch.

HTH, please do rate all helpful replies,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Mohammed

I think you are making the same assumption that I did about it being a layer 2 switch. And as I think about it a bit more, even if it were a layer 3 switch I do not see that it would be a problem.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi Rick

I agree, as long as the two switches were connected via layer 2 link (assuming they are connected) they should be fine even if they were acting as layer 3 switches.

If the connection was a layer 3 connection though that could cause some problems.

Jon

Hi Rick,

You are totally right, i answered that it would not be any problem whatever the case is, and when asking about if it is being a layer 2 or layer 3 switch it was just to go further on the discussion if the poster had any more doubts.

[edit] If it is a layer 2 switch, then this is normal, having both management interfaces in the same IP subnet. And if it is a layer 3 switch, i think that it is as if a LAN is connected to 2 routers which should impose no problems, but the administrator would have to care which IP should be the gateway for the local LAN (VLAN) hosts.

BR,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card