cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Parameterized Templates

gayle.whiting
Level 1
Level 1

I am creating a user defined netconfig job with a parameterized template to change a number or variables on approx 800 cisco devices.

Is there a list anywhere of the correct values for the 'CMDPARAM NAME' field which I need to create in the file ?

e.g.

<CMDPARAM NAME = enable secret>

Or where can I find the correct syntax for the CMDPARAM NAME to change the following variables:

service password-encryption

enable secret password

snmp community strings

snmp server host address & string

Telnet, console & aux passwords?

With service password-encryption, how would this be written in a parameterized template i.e

<DEVICE NAME = 10.10.10.10>

<CMDPARAM NAME = service password encryption>

<value>??????</value>

</CMDPARAM>

If I wanted to turn service password encryption on using the template, what would the <value> field be?

1 Reply 1

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

With parameterized templates, you are assigning commands to variable names. The idea with that is allow one to create a general template that has some device-specific components. Typically, these include things like hostname, IP addresses, ACLs, etc. But you can do this with "service password encryption".

To do what you want to do, pick a variable to represent "service password encryption" (e.g. $encryption). Your template will look like:

$encryption

And the XML file will look like:

service password encryption

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: