cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MDS9216i and SNMP

d.muccillo
Level 1
Level 1

i have snmp manager that is trying to poll the 9216 device. It fails even though i have the community set..besides the standard snmp setup with community is there anything else i have to do to allow the manager to poll this device?

4 Replies 4

stephen2615
Level 3
Level 3

I had issues with this when I first got the MDS's. I finally gave in and turned on snmp v1 as such and that solved the problem with polling. I was using Netview (oh for Openview NNM) and it could not do much with SNMP v2 and heaven knows v3 is way to difficult for Netview. I suppose you need to figure out what level of SNMP you require at your site and then figure out what your manager can do with it.

Just for interests sake, is your switch able to send traps to your manager even though you can't poll it?

If you have not looked at the SNMP setup on the MDS, check out:

http://cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5989/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a0080662d15.html

Be very careful when making changes as Fabric Manager uses SNMP.

HTH!!

Stephen

Yes I am able to send traps to the SNMP manager. It is just is a problem when I poll the switch from the SNMP manager (Entuity).

SNMP traps are sent via port 162, whereas polling is port 161. I think the thing to do is to try to determine why port 162 traffic (traps) are making it, and port 161 responses aren't.

The only other thing I can think of is that the polling you're doing isn't reaching the switch, or the switch isn't responding properly. You can verify this through debugging on the switch itself.

If you enable snmp debugs on the switch, do you see the polling, and that the switch sends a response?

-Joe

jreekers
Level 4
Level 4

Another thing worth checking is that port 161 is open/available and that UDP is not being blocked...especially important if you have a firewall or ACL in play.

HTH,

-Joe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: