MDI / MDIX

Answered Question
Jun 8th, 2007

Hello,

I have one end that doesn't support auto-mdix feature (namely WS-X6348-RJ-45 module on 6509) and other end does support (HP blade PCs switch) auto-mdix and it is enabled. Does anybody know what I should see on HP end - MDI or MDIX? Should I FORCE HP side to MDIX?

Thank you for any information.

Denis

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Correct Answer by Richard Burts about 9 years 6 months ago

Denis

Your 6509 expects a cross over cable for switch to switch connection (and the link would not come up if you connect it to another switch with a straight cable and neither end could change the type). If the HP supports auto-mdix then it senses what type of cable is connected, knows what it should be, and will accommodate either type of cable connection. I would not force it and let it sense and do what it thinks is right. (I would also start with a cross over cable)

HTH

Rick

Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
Correct Answer
Richard Burts Fri, 06/08/2007 - 11:20

Denis

Your 6509 expects a cross over cable for switch to switch connection (and the link would not come up if you connect it to another switch with a straight cable and neither end could change the type). If the HP supports auto-mdix then it senses what type of cable is connected, knows what it should be, and will accommodate either type of cable connection. I would not force it and let it sense and do what it thinks is right. (I would also start with a cross over cable)

HTH

Rick

Actions

This Discussion